*This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase.
When it comes to fashion, the high-low trick has to be the most effective methods of pairing clothes to ensure you look expensive.
When you see influencers and celebrities rocking a $600 Christian Louboutin stiletto pair and a $30 Forever 21 dress, you understand that indeed, high- low is the way to go!
If you are a savvy shopper or a serial shopper who wants to look terrific even without breaking the bank, then you have to master the art of wearing the high-low style.
As well, if you love playing around with dressy or laid-back combinations, the high-low combo will be great for you!
See The Contents
- 0.1 5 Rules To Keep In Mind When Going For The High-Low Style
- 1 Get Our Style Guide On 'How to Always Look Put Together'
Well, what is high-low style?
High-Low Style is :
- where you pair the most expensive pieces in your wardrobe with the most affordable, or rather, cheaper items for a nice fit and cost effective style. This is especially good if you are working on a tight budget.
- It can also be combining high-fashion, tailored, and custom pieces with more casual, everyday pieces from your closet.
Since it is fun to create your personal style and define it than having a uniform high fashion style, it’s great to know how to pair and wear high-low like the fashionista you are!
5 Rules To Keep In Mind When Going For The High-Low Style
1. Invest in quality pieces!
This has to be the main rule of high-low style!
Quality pieces will prove to be long lasting hence ensuring that you don’t have to keep on shopping the next time you are going out on a cocktail party.
Quality pieces are also more wearable since they don’t wear out easily.
Before going on a plunge, determine what items you would want to seriously spend on.
Some of the great fashion items you can spend on incluce:
- Accessories like hats, hand bags, jewelry and shoes- trust me, accessories have the power to of instantly glaming up any outfit!
- Bottoms like the denim jeans, office pants, maxi skirts and even shorts. Imagine having 5 different colored denim jeans from a designer store around the corner that you can switch up with various tops and wear all-month around! Or 2 pairs of great wide leg pants? What about 6 perfect high fashion shirts that you’ll obviously pair with a hundred tops all year round?
Read Also: How To Rock Denim Jeans Like A Pro
- Outerwear. Fashionistas say that for a flawless combination of style and comfort, a covetable outerwear will always work to do wonders to your overall style. Hence, investing in great outerwear for layering is essential for example purchasing a killer trench coat , or fur coat, or kimono, or cardigan or a sweater that is bold enough to liven up any outfit.
Read Also: 10 Ways To Layer Clothes Like A Pro
2. Be ready to experiment pieces.
Style is reinvented and as long as a combination makes you feel comfortable, it is worthy of a try out in the streets.
Go wild pairing your Guiseppe Zanotti over-the-knee boots and your Zara oversized top then see how it looks.
Is it gorgoues? Then you’re welcome to rock it! You want to experiment and try as many things as possible, so you can land upon something that’s uniquely your own.
Break the rules girl!
3. Don’t Spend On Trends
Cargo pants came with a bang! And became stale after a few months…
Would you prefer investing in a $300 cargo pants then? No!
I mean, there is no need of spending huge bucks on pieces that you’ll want to abandon in the next few months.
Instead, shop for them in low fashion stores and thrift stores to ensure your spending is secure.
Once you try them out a couple of times and it suits your hankering, then you can go ahead and shop for them in high-end.
One good example has to be when shopping for tops. Usually, tops will ever come in very many designs.
For example: ruffled hems, ruffled sleeves, long-sleeved, off-shoulders, one shoulder, strapless, cropped, lace, turtle-necks, polo-necks, caped , waist-tie tops and so much more.
Since ladies need a lot of tops for pairing, it is preferable to go for low fashion tops and have very many designs at a cheaper cost.
4. Source for low cost items that can pass for high-end
When going for low fashion pieces, don’t just buy cheap but be keen to ensure that the piece you are actually buying is worth it.
I mean, can it pass for a high-end piece?
If you have to look expensive without breaking the bank, then you should check for the state and quality of the cloth before buying it.
For example: check the fabrics to make sure they are not torn, stained and in good shape.
Read Also: How to Spot Fake Clothes
5. Personalize the items
For your unique style to stand out, then you should own the piece.
Do you need to adjust the hemline or do away with the buttons and straps? Then go ahead!
Read Also: How to Find and Define Personal Style
Well, here is what I do when going high-low:
a. Wear high end bottoms!
b. Pair with a low-cost top.
c. Finish off with high-end accessories.
SHOP THE LOOK
While almost every fast-fashion retailer makes designer dupes that you can always buy wannabe designer items and stand out in your matching.
But when in doubt about wearing high-low style, go monochromatic, keep things simple, shop quality and pair comfortably.
You can as well visibly branded items unless they are designer pieces.
Ready to use this style idea? Then speak to us in the comments below…