*This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase.
Ever wondered how ladies manage to look too gorgeous in high-end fashion all year round? They look too polished! Too rich! Too sleek! And too gorgeous! And that makes you to even save up with the aim of banking too much for that high-end haul, right? Well, looking expensive in whatever pieces you wear doesn’t have to drain your wallet. Even on a limited budget, you can get to look expensive.
We all want to look stylish at all times, and that is mainly dictated by how we wear our clothes and the little tricks that will make your outfit stand out.
But when it comes to looking expensive, we must go a step further and lean on ensuring sophistication and elegance in our looks.
So, ride along to learn of 9 ways that will ensure you are looking expensive without draining the bank!
See The Contents
- 1 1.Understand your personal Style
- 2 2. Keep your wardrobe neutral
- 3 3. Avoid too much patterns and prints.
- 4 4. Know What To Invest In And Invest in quality
- 5 5. Don’t be afraid of going for structured pieces.
- 6 6. Get some designer dupes…just some.
- 7 7. Learn to wear neutral makeup
- 8 8. Perfectly take care of your outfits
- 9 9. Wear The Crown Of Elegance
- 10 Quick Tips To Make Your Look Expensive When Dressing Up
- 11 Fashion Mistakes Women Make As They Desire To Look Expensive
9 Tips On How To Look Expensive
1.Understand your personal Style
Every woman who looks expensive understands her personal style. She knows what she wants to achieve with any outfit.
In the same way, if you have to look expensive, find your personal style and define it. Don’t know where to start? Here are tips to help you find and define your personal style.
Once you have defined your personal style in three words, you’ll easily know what clothes work best for you and the colors that look best on you.
2. Keep your wardrobe neutral
Keeping your wardrobe neutral might sound too unfair especially if you love a colorful closet like me.
But coming to think of it, most of the quality fabrics like wool, cotton, linen and leather come from the earth’s.
Take an example of wool which is gotten from sheep and leather from cows. These animals are neutral in color unless you’ve seen a red cow?
I don’t say you go and burn the colors you have. Just inject more pastel shades and neutrals to your closet. Neutral shades are a perfect addition to anyone’s closet and will leave you looking stunning.
Wondering where to start? Get more clothes in white , camel, blush pink, beige, grey and black. Neutral colors are very easy to style and you can quickly mix and match outfits in neutral colors.
3. Avoid too much patterns and prints.
Well, I have a thing for patterns and prints but wait…trying to switch up with more solid outfits would not be so bad after all.
Prints, patterns, plaids, checkered, gingham and florals can bring about that quizzical effect to any look thus attracting all eye balls than plain outfits. Hence, smaller is better. Too much loud patterns going on take away the attention.
If your outfit has to compliment you as a whole, as you wear prints and patterns, then consider going minimal.
For example: use small patterns, minimal stripes and instead of wearing an outfit with prints, you can have an accessory like a scarf or neckerchief in print. That would ready work wonders sis.
Also, you can always break up any look in print-on-print using solid colors like just layering in some solid-colored clothes and accessories to calm things down and ground your look.
Read Also: How To Style Prints and Stripes Like A Pro
4. Know What To Invest In And Invest in quality
Whenever you consider going shopping for outfits; be it online, in physical stores or thrifting, try as much as possible to avoid flimsy and poor fabrics.
In order to do so, look at the clothing tag inside the clothing you just bought and go for clothing that is made of cotton, cashmere, tweed, velvet, linen, satin and silk.
These fabrics are also loved for their rich legacy and can stand the test of time.
Another tip is to avoid clothes made of plastic. A good example is polyester and any other polymers. Just don’t buy them because you’ll be getting rid of them in the next two months. And that’s just not sustainable at all.
Read Also: How To Shop Online For Outfits
Another example is when picking out chiffon clothes. Get quality chiffon which is usually soft unlike fake chiffon which is rough, tough and absorbs no sweat.
There is no doubt that quality fabrics have this elegant feel hence will leave you feeling and looking expensive.
Some of the key fashion pieces to invest in include:
(A) A few polished accessories.
Every classy woman knows that quality accessories have it. They will not only serve you for years to come but add an expensive touch to any look.
So instead of having a whole bag of low-end accessories; more of which you’ll even forget about, why not save up and get a few perfect pieces?
To make the work easier for you, have go-to matching sets of accessories. In this case, a bag, shoe and if possible, a belt too of the same color and material.
For example: invest in a bag, shoe and belt of a lighter color like white, beige or camel and a similar combination of a darker color like black, navy blue or grey.
A bag, shoe or belt can make or break your outfit. A quality piece will instantly make the most basic of looks dressy while some poor dirty one will tarnish your look no matter how good you are dressed.
Read Also: 5 Types Of Shoes Every Woman Must Have
Apart from the bag, shoe and belt, invest in amazing pieces of jewelry and a classic watch.
You don’t a whole jewelry drawer since you can get a nice necklace and some studs for a start as you build up your collection.
Here is a post I wrote on 10 accessories every woman must have in her collection.
(B) Invest in your outerwear
Nothing makes a statement like the perfect outerwear; from trench coats, to biker jackets, to blazers, to sweaters and jumpers, to cape coats…well, name them!
Read Also: The Ultimate Guide To Buying Winter Coats
Suppose you were invited to a business dinner date where the ‘whos-are-who’ in the society would be present and yes, you would have to present a speech. What would you wear in case you don’t love suits?
Lemme give you a style tip…embrace that perfect long coat.
Long coats, cape coats and trench coats are a big bang in the fashion world right now and having them would be the best decision you can ever make. Trust, they are going nowhere in the near future. How timeless.
So just by layering a sleek black long coat over a well-fitting sheath dress and finishing off with perfect accessories and makeup, you’ll be perfect for that business dinner date.
You see? You don’t have to shop for the whole look in a high-end boutique in the city!
Read Also: How To Layer Clothes Like A Style Pro!
Other fashion pieces to invest in include: a gorgeous long coat, an over-sized blazer, an evening dress, a great bag or purse, work-style pants, a smart shoe like a pair of high heels and stilettos.
5. Don’t be afraid of going for structured pieces.
Structured pieces include a blazer, suits, work-style pants or any other tailored clothes you got.
As much as a structured piece will lend you a classy look, it also gives you such massive confidence that will leave you garnering attention as you go.
Tailored pieces go all the way from getting a fabric tailored to your desired design to trimming clothes that do not fit you properly.
With the right and trusted tailor, you can get the best fit and design that will leave people appreciating your look.
6. Get some designer dupes…just some.
Want to enjoy a perfect trend? Maybe join the Gucci belt bandwagon? Or the Puma sneakers? Or even the Zara metallic skirt? Why not get a dupe if you don’t want to drain your bank account?
We all know that getting these designer items could leave some of our wallets drained but now that they can easily be found on Amazon.
Just shop for them right and get to done them as you dress up. Just be sure not to invest in the dupes but get some items especially when on sale.
7. Learn to wear neutral makeup
Now that makeup is part of the modern’s woman way of life, no woman wants to leave her house without makeup in most instances, right?
So you’re wondering how to look expensive, just embrace a healthy lifestyle that will ensure your face and skin looks so healthy and silky.
Once you’ve achieved this, learn to do neutral makeup, or rather, the no-make-up makeup look!
Ditch the bold and too much colored makeup looks while embracing the laid-back makeup look. Those glossy lip balms, smoky eyes, well-done eyebrows…all look perfect when neutral.
Anyway, if you want to go bold, have some neutral touch to your makeup. For example: you can have bold eyes with the rest of the face in nude.
Read Also: How To Rock The No-Makeup Makeup Look
8. Perfectly take care of your outfits
Good looks start with good clothes; clothes that are in perfect condition. If your cloth requires ironing, iron them well. If they need hanging, hang them right.
And if they have some washing requirements, follow them to the latter to ensure they always remain in the best condition ever and last longer.
In regards to taking perfect care of your clothes, always ensure all your clothes fit your effortlessly.
Invest in a tailor who knows your body shape rim any outfit to suit your shape perfectly.
Any woman who looks expensive appreciates her body and doesn’t struggle to change her body shape. She changes her clothes to match her body well.
9. Wear The Crown Of Elegance
Elegant women are not just elegant based on how they dress but also how they carry themselves. If you have to look expensive even after wearing all these timeless pieces, your character has to be well built.
Talk about greeting people well, speaking eloquently, being caring, walking confidently and maintaining the highest form of good behavior.
And this has to start right from home. Treat your family members right, maintain dining etiquette, be caring and this is a big one: wear the right clothes even in the comfort of your home.
I’ve been guilty of staying with pajamas in the house when alone and going to bed with some old clothes before. And that’s just not elegant at all.
Remember the saying, ‘charity begins at home?’ But if you need to repeat clothes at home, here are tips to ensure you don’t look too scrappy.
If you have to look elegant, cultivate that nature in you right from home. To start off, get up early, take a shower as if you were going on a date, scent yourself up, dress beautifully even if you’re working from home and carry yourself elegantly around the home.
Trust me, you’ll bring this habit to whatever place you attend. And you don’t wanna look expensive in dressing yet your manners are scrap.
Well lovelies, with those 9 tips you can look expensive without spending a fortune!
Quick Tips To Make Your Look Expensive When Dressing Up
- Wear minimal accessories. For instance: favor the minimal jewelry look and only wear will not overwhelm your look to ensure you get that modern, sophisticated and balanced finish. I shared tips on how to style accessories to ensure they neither break your look nor look too loud here.
- Have neutral makeup.
- Learn to wear neutral color blocks. And if you have to wear prints, do it minimally. .
- Groom properly. Get to fix our hair well and for a hack, always let your face show as you fix your hair since classy women like you are proud of their looks. Keep your nails neat and of medium-size. You can also use nude or French manicure to make them look as expensive.
- Don’t show too much skin. Remember, elegance comes through decency too. So if you have to flaunt your best asset, do it with moderation.
- Match all of your hardware. I mean, anything metal you are wearing. For example: your belt buckles, jewelry, shoe and bag buckles. This creates a seamless look since they will all complement each other.
- Go monochromatic if you don’t know how to dress up. Read more tips on how to wear a monochromatic look here.
- Wear contrasting materials. A neutral wardrobe can be easily spiced up by having contrasting fabrics and texture. A good example is faux fur and denim.
- Wear sunglasses and have pointy shoes.
- Always dress up for the occasion. While you can easily wear some jeans and a tee to the baseball match, wear a cocktail dress to an evening party girl.
Now that you know these quick tips on how to look expensive, you should also ensure that you don’t commit these serial fashion mistakes that could tarnish the whole of you.
Fashion Mistakes Women Make As They Desire To Look Expensive
Looking expensive means portraying elegance right from your dressing to your character. But sometimes, women just miss it. How?
- They try too hard to impress– This just screams of insecurity. Instead, dress in moderation and for the occasion and you will stand out queen.
- They don’t maintain a balance as they dress up and end up being overwhelmed by their outfit. That’s why every woman who wants to look expensive must understand her best features and enhance them. For example: you can always tuck in the right places for a cohesive look or have a belt for your coat to make the look nicely united.
- They show more skin than necessary and end up looking so provocative. This does not look expensive girl.
- They don’t dress for their body shape. This is a killer since you’ll find women who wear clothes too big or too small for them. Girl, get the right fit. Even if you’re wearing over-sized clothes, make it look great for your body.
- Their grooming is not up to standard. If you have to look elegant, don’t miss the finer details. Work on getting good skin, have clean makeup, fix up your hair, have good nails and don’t forget to wear the right perfume.
- They think they look too expensive when they, in fact, don’t. This is clearly sold out by wearing cheap fabrics of such poor quality. This is just why you should start embracing quality fabrics. Be keen when buying clothes so that over time, you’ll understand what fabrics look elegant. To start with, have cotton, wool, cashmere, silk, and satin.
- They wear inappropriate shoes. Instead of wearing too high heels to work, wear a lower heel.
Well ladies, avoid those style mistakes and embrace those 9 tips so that you can look expensive without spending a fortune!
So how do you ensure you look polished and expensive in any look you wear? Please let me know in the comments below…