*This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase.
*This is a sponsored post. I received Beautycounter’s All-bright C Serum from Influenster and after using it for over 4 months, I share my honest opinion.
Let’s face it: clear, luminous, and dewy skin will never go out of style. While this beautiful glow is so admirable and we would all want to achieve this, it might not be so easy, and maintaining the radiance is not easy too.
If you feel that you need to do something about your dull skin, let’s first understand the habits that are causing your skin to grow dull by the day.
See The Contents
- 1 What Mistakes Are Costing your Skin’s Glow?
- 2 Beautycounter’s All-Bright C Serum Review
- 2.1 Skin Tip…
- 2.2 Skin Tips…
- 2.3 Share this:
- 2.4 Like this:
- 2.5 Related
What Mistakes Are Costing your Skin’s Glow?
- You’re Dehydrated! Dehydration reduces the amount of blood flow to your skin, making it look dull. No wonder, dermatologists advise that the secret to the glow is taking enough water daily. Constantly hydrating your face can spare you fine lines, sagging skin, and all the other signs of early aging.
- You’re not Moisturizing your Face Regularly! Environmental aggressors can dry out your face, creating cracks on your skin’s surface thus dullness. Moisturize day and night, and also, enhance your skin’s moisture-retention capacity by introducing a hyaluronic acid serum into your routine.
- You’re not Exfoliating! In addition to cleansing your face, you must include exfoliating too. The process removes the skin’s outer layer of dead cells so its surface is smoother and clearer and glows!
- You’re deprived of sleep. “Sleep is the body’s restorative time when your skin cells repair themselves and regenerate,” explains Dr. Palm on Good House Keeping. “If that period is shortened or altered, skin cells cannot perform at their optimum.”
- You’re overly stressed and this is costing your skin’s brilliance.
- Your environment is dulling down your skin- think of air pollutants, low humidity or too much UV exposure, and that’s why you should always wash your face in the evening to clean off pollutant particles from clogging your pores.
- You’re really smoking and taking much alcohol that dehydrates you from inside out. Also, cigarette smoking causes collagen breakdown, making skin appear sallow, waxy, and wrinkled over time.
- Your matte makeup is reducing your skin’s glow. Thus, switch up for more hydrating and luminizing makeup.
You may have already engaged in the above practices and over time, the glow on your face significantly reduced to the point that you have dull skin.
Well, you need not despair because you can revive your skin’s glow and get brighter skin.
Apart from making lifestyle changes like correcting the habits above, you should also consider adding Vitamin C to your regimen. To start off, introduce Vitamin C into your diet.
As well, introduce Vitamin C into your skincare routine. Personally, I use Beautycounter’s All-Bright C Serum. Let’s talk about this amazing Vitamin C serum and how I have used it to get brighter skin:
Beautycounter’s All-Bright C Serum Review
The All-Bright C Serum from Beautycounter is a vegan and cruelty-free blend of two ultra-stable forms of vitamin C that deliver a supercharged 10% potency.
This quick-absorbing formula allows for easy layering and an instant boost of radiance, leaving the skin glowing and promoting an even skin tone.
|BEST FOR||All skin types, including sensitive skin. Remember to spot test though; I test along the jawline prior to a full face application.|
|ACTIVE INGREDIENTS||5% Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate |
(Vitamin C), 5% Bis-Glyceryl
Ascorbate (Vitamin C),
Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root
Extract, Myrciaria Dubia (Camu
Camu) Fruit Extract
|Aqua/Water/Eau, Propanediol, |
Pentylene Glycol, Coconut Alkanes, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl
Taurate Copolymer, Curcuma
Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract,
Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract†,
Curcumin, Sodium Hyaluronate,
Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet
Almond) Oil, Phytic Acid,
Citrus Aurantium Bergamia
(Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Citrus Nobilis
(Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil,
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange)
Flower Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin,
Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Decanal,
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange)
Peel Oil, Ionone, Ethyl Lactate,
Vanillin, Isoamyl Acetate, Ethyl 2-Methylbutyrate,
Dec-9-en-2-one, Dimethylhydroxy Furanone, Ethyl Propionate, Ethyl Cinnamate, Hexenyl Acetate,
Triethyl Citrate, Benzyl Acetate,
Ethyl Acetate. Citral+,
|POTENTIAL ALLERGENS||None. |
No ethoxylated ingredients (including PEGs)
No dyes in the formulation – that bright yellow glow is from turmeric!
|USES||Brightening, reduce the appearance of dark spots, even skin tone, protection from environmental aggressors.|
|IS IT CLEAN?||Yes, it is vegan and cruelty-free.|
|PRICE||$82 for a 30ml bottle|
|ABOUT THE BRAND||Beautycounter is a clean beauty brand that creates clean, high-performing skincare and makeup.|
About My Skin: Oily Skin With An Uneven Skin Tone & Hyperpigmentation Yet Very Reactive
I have oily skin and before I started using this Vitamin C serum, my skin was very rough, textured and uneven. I also had hyperpigmentation.
At this point, my skincare routine included cleansing and moisturizing only.
Since I also live in an urban and sunny area, my skin was not just exposed to sun damage that encourages too much hyperpigmentation but also pollution.
My skin is also very reactive, and gets irritated very quickly, and this means that I cannt use active ingredients each and every day. My skin always wants some time off to adjust to the new treatment.
If I pump too much concentration on a daily basis, I tend to notice a burning sensation on my skin, as well as tiny rashes that fade as soon as I leave my skin to heal.
Its Price & Value: Worth It!
This product comes in a 30ml bottle at $82. Trust me, it’s definitely worth the price.
For optimal results, it is recommended to use Vitamin C serum, once, every single day. However, I use it at least thrice a week since I also use a chemical peel in my routine on the days I don’t use this Vitamin C serum.
Also, I use just two pumps for my face and neck each time.
This makes the product to last really long. It’s been over two months now, and my bottle is still half full.
The All-Bright Vitamin C Serum by Beautycounter comes in an opaque bottle to ensure it does not become oxidized to dehydroascorbic acid, making it less stable and less efficacious.
It also has an airless pump that allows you to dispense just a required amount of product.
It is also recommended to store your Vitamin-C serum in a cool, dry place that is away from direct sunlight to prevent color fading and enhance its longevity.
The Scent: Organic Fragrance
This serum definitely smells like a mix of turmeric and citrus fruits. Because it is organic, it won’t affect your skin, even if you have sensitive skin like mine.
Ingredients & Their Quality: Super Skin-Friendly, Clean & Potent
The All-Bright C Serum is a simply-formulated Vitamin C serum that is amde from clinically-tested and organic ingredients.
This is great if you have easily-irritated skin like mine- we always prefer simple formulations, and simple routines.
The active ingredients in this Beautycounter’s All-Bright C serum include:
- 5% Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C): An antioxidant that reduces the appearance of dark spots and boosts skin brightening, to reveal more youthful-looking skin.
- 5% Bis-Glyceryl Ascorbate (Vitamin C): Moisturizes skin while providing antioxidant benefits known to protect skin from damaging environmental stressors. It also helps improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract: The serum’s vibrant hue? That’s thanks to turmeric, an antioxidant superstar that helps even skin tone and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Myrciaria Dubia (Camu Camu) Fruit Extract: This powerful antioxidant helps reduce the appearance of dark spots while brightening, to visually improve signs of skin fatigue.
This holy grail combination is definitely a plus! Let’s see if it really helped my skin glow below!
If you have used Vitamin-C serums in the past to get brighter skin, you have most likely encountered a ton of Vitamin C serums that are highly unstable.
After contact with light, heat, and air, Vitamin C eventually oxidizes and loses its potency. You’ll know it when your serum changes color, turning brown. With ascorbic acid, this usually takes about 3 months after opening the bottle.
Well, if you have felt this loss, try Beautycounter’s All-Bright C serum. This product includes a unique blend of two ultra-stable forms of Japanese vitamin C that deliver 10% potency. Thus, you will enjoy your serum for longer!
Its Texture & Feel: Super Lightweight
This serum is very lightweight and quickly absorbs once you apply on the skin. Thus, a great product for oily skin since it doesn’t clog the pores at all.
It also has a yellow color from the turmeric used in its formulation.
I always use this Vitamin C serum in my morning/AM skincare routine. Its light texture and fast-absorbing properties make it ideal for layering underneath my moisturizer, makeup, and other products.
This is usually after cleansing and gently exfoliating my face to allow better penetration of the serum. I then finish with a lightweight moisturizer and wear SPF.
I’m currently using Clef Skincare’s Hydrating Gel Cleanser and Exuvance’s Skincaring BB Fluid with Sunscreen SPF 50++++
Usually, 2-3 pumps should be enough for your whole face and neck. The combination of Vitamin C and SPF Iis sure to transform your skin!
How to Use Vitamin C Serums For Better Results
1. Some dermatologists recommend applying a vitamin C serum in the morning in order to prevent damage from free radicals that can occur throughout the day.
Remember to follow up with a layer of broad-spectrum sunscreen, with an SPF 30 or more, if you do choose to use your serum in the morning.
Since Vitamin C becomes less effective when exposed to light, it’s important to give it time to absorb into your skin before going outside, the SELF blog explainss.
“Combining vitamin C serum and broad-spectrum sunscreens that protect well against UVA rays has been shown to be more effective at neutralizing free radical damage from sun exposure than just using sunscreen alone,” Dr. Steven Mandrea, a board-certified dermatologist and co-founder of Lakeview Dermatology in Chicago, says on the Real Simple blog.
2. Use the right concentration vitamin C for your skin type and concerns.
If your skin is dry or sensitive, it is best to stick with lower concentrations of Vitamin C, around 5%, as they are less likely to irritate your skin.
But if your skin is oily or with more extensive pigmentation issues to tackle, then it can handle higher concentrations. However, as SELF explains that the effects begin to plateau after 20%, so there’s usually no need to go higher than that.
3. Vitamin C is generally pretty safe and well-tolerated, but if you have sensitive skin, it might sting a little bit—especially if you use it in the same part of your routine as exfoliating scrubs or acids.
4. Using Vitamin C and retinoids in the same part of your routine can cause irritation, so it is recommended to use them on the same day at different times. For instance, skin experts generally advise using vitamin C products in the morning and retinoids at night.
5. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to steer clear of vitamin C serum during daytime hours, and use it as a PM-only product. In some cases, higher concentrations of vitamin C could make sensitive skin more prone to irritation and sunburn.
6. Vitamin C serums, like all serums in general, are most effective when your skin is properly exfoliated. The build-up of dead skin cells due to lack of exfoliation can make it difficult for products to penetrate.
However, it is worth noting that exfoliating can cause some sensitivity—particularly if you’re using a chemical exfoliant that contains acids like AHA and BHA—so be sure to use your Vitamin C serum and acids at different times of the day.
I personally apply my Vitamin C serum every morning, and then use my AHAs and BHAs at night a few times a week.
You May Also Like: 9 Things To Know Before Using Vitamin C For Your Skin
The Results: Brighter Skin & Reduced Hyperpigmentation
I’ve used Beautycounter’s All-Bright C for over 4 months now and you can tell from the pictures below that my skin is brighter (my mom actually told me that my skin is smoother and looks brighter).
Upon first time use, it was kinda tingling on my skin but as I got used to it, the sensation became less.
My skin also had a lot of stress from sun damage, and that brought about hyperpigmentation that has significantly reduced right now. So, it’s been worth it!
NOTE: I am religious with my skincare routine. Including steps like: cleansing, using Vitamin C (once to twice a week), moisturizing, and wearing SPF in my morning skincare routine. I also repeat the steps and include the Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel instead of the All-Bright C serum in my PM routine (once to twice a week).
My Verdict: Go-to Brightener!
Without a doubt, I can say that this Vitamin C serum has helped me get brighter skin and has evened out my complexion by over 50%. I know that as I continue using it, my skin will be smoother and brighter.
My skin is also smoother and has less texture. Once my bottle is over, I’m definitely replenishing it ASAP!
Availability – Beautycounter’s Website
Would you want to also get brighter skin? Have you tried a Vitamin-C serum? What about Beautycounter’s All-Bright C Serum?